Monday, June 13, 2011

Muzungu! How is Obama?

Of my many adventures last week was a quest to find a weighing scale (Women of Kireka had an order of loose beads to fill). Leaving my home in Nakulabye I was content to head towards the city center stopping every few feet to inquire “weighing scale?” until I found one or had walked the entirety of Kampala, whichever came first. A run-in with the lovely proprietor of a home goods store in my neighborhood proved quite fortuitous, however, as she not only told me the name and address of a store where I could find a scale, but also found me a taxi driver who knew the spot. With me in tow the driver navigated the labyrinthine streets of Old Kampala. As we made our way my usual greeting (“Muzungu! How are you?”) evolved into “Muzungu! Where are you from?” My response generated a chorus of “Muzungu! How is Obama?” putting a giant grin on my face. Unsure of how to answer (“Well, catching Bin Laden gave his poll numbers a boost but the unemployment rate is still high and our participation in the NATO mission in Libya is controversial...”) I just said “He’s good.” My next stop on the Obama train will be a busy spot in Kampala called Wandegeya, where I hear I can get an Obama chapati.
The order of loose beads, packaged and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment