Friday, June 3, 2011

I Finally Meet the Artisans of Kireka

After months of anticipation, I finally made it to Kireka yesterday. Needless to say, it was wonderful to be in the same room as the women I'd heard so much about. I arrived at the office in the afternoon and spent several hours getting acquainted with the women as well as "oohing" and "ahing" over all of their wares. Jennifer showed me each style of necklace and answered my plethora of questions about how strips of paper are transformed into such lovely beads. Grace was kind enough to give me a tour of the quarry where many of the women work, which is just down the road from the office. I also had the pleasure of meeting the newest member of WoK, baby Samuel, as well as the adorable babies Cody and Teddy. I'm back in Kireka at Monday at 1pm, at which time the women and I will start collaborating in earnest.
The Women of Kireka and I in the office.

Some of the necklaces in the office - the work of true craftswomen.

Looking down into Kireka Quarry, where many of the women work crushing stones.

The road leading from the quarry to the office.

Santa and her baby Samuel, just several weeks old and a champion sleeper.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! Ma&MA Famille

    ReplyDelete